Like most US homeowners, asphalt shingles may be your first choice because they are reasonable and appealing. If you’re wondering how long asphalt shingles last, a simple answer is 15 – 40 years.
However, this is a broad category, and many websites mention a more specific range. To narrow it down to your home, the easiest course is to ask a reputed local roofing contractor for an estimate. Before you discuss anything, you must know exactly what to say and ask.
Here is some expert advice on the lifespan of asphalt shingles. After reading this article, you can easily tell if asphalt shingles are suitable for your home, and it will also facilitate clear communication with the contractors.
How Long Do Asphalt Shingles Last?
The lifespan of asphalt shingles depends on many factors you may not know yet. But to choose a suitable roofing material, it is essential to understand how durable and robust it is. The category of shingles is the primary element that determines how long asphalt shingles last.
Asphalt shingles primarily fall into three categories. While they all protect your home from elements, their quality, materials, and styles significantly affect their longevity. Below are the three categories of shingles- 3-tab, architectural, and luxury.
3-Tab Or Strip Shingles
Average Lifespan: 18-20 years
A shingle is typically a sheet, and one shingle consists of 3 individual tabs- hence the name. 3-tab shingles are the most affordable and popular shingles. They have been on the market for over 70 years and form about 75% of all residential roofs in the US. So you may quickly recognize them if you remember any of your neighbors’ roofs.
- Most three-tab shingles need a replacement after 20 years.
- If you live in a region where the weather is severe, 3-tab shingles may need to be replaced sooner.
- That period can vary, though, depending on roof maintenance.
It’s imperative to keep your roof in good shape by conducting annual roof inspections, cleaning, and repairs when needed. Always keep in mind that as a homeowner, you also affect the longevity of your asphalt shingle roof.
We highly recommend GAF’s Royal Sovereign range which provides extra protection from the weather and blue-green algae. It is also designed to maintain its authentic shingle color for years and stay strong in all four seasons.
Architectural Or Dimensional Shingles
Average lifespan: 25 – 30 years
If you want to make a stylish statement with your roof, then architectural shingles can be an excellent choice. The shingles come in countless patterns with unique shades and 3D looks, enriching the visual appeal of your home. You can even choose a rustic, cedar shake look with architectural shingles.
- These shingles are two times thicker than the 3-tab, as there are two shingles stripes laminated together.
- Architectural shingles will last for over 25 years, even if you live in a region that experiences high rainfall or snowfall. They are also suitable for hot areas that see a little sunshine all year round.
- Architectural shingles may cost more than 3-tab shingles, but the investment will pay off when you’re not spending a fortune on repairs, and there’s no need to replace your roof for years.
They’re also highly customizable, with subtle patterns that can suit your taste. So the answer to your question- how long do asphalt shingles last- can differ significantly depending on the type of shingles you choose.
Expert recommendation: GAF Timberline Range
Luxury Or Designer Shingles
Average lifespan 30 – 40 years
Luxury shingles have top-quality lamination. You may have seen some beautiful, dense roofs in your town, and luxury shingles can give you a similar attractive look at an affordable price.
- These shingles cost more than the other two types owing to their durability and the ability to simulate a realistic look of natural roofing materials like wood and slate.
- They are the most durable and sturdy shingles that usually last 35 – 40 years. With proper care, luxury shingles can withstand extreme temperatures for years.
- Luxury shingles are even thicker than architectural shingles and offer enhanced protection from hail and water damage.
When you ask how long asphalt shingles last, we believe you would want to hear about shingles that can last for decades with minimum care and reasonable cost. So we finally recommend GAF’s Royal Slate and Grand Sequoia. They fall among the most beautiful, durable, and affordable shingle ranges. With these luxurious shingles, you will get a perfect, grand finish and excellent weather protection.
Considering An Asphalt Roof?
With advanced technologies and asphalt’s dynamic properties, leading manufacturers are now producing shingles with extraordinary benefits such as:
- Mold and algae protection.
- High tolerance against fire, hail, impact, wind, and rain.
- Cool roofs and energy-saving properties.
Asphalt shingles can suit your taste and budget well, whether you are replacing your roof or simply preparing for the future. You can read more in our guide to asphalt shingles or consult one of our roofing experts.
Consult The Experts
Epic Exteriors Roofing offers the best shingle installation in Toms River, NJ and we are proud to be a GAF-Certified Weather Stopper roofing contractor.
Whether you need roofing services or more knowledge about your options, our experts are happy to show you the most reasonable and appealing shingles and explain the whole installation process.
We have been educating homeowners about the roofing industry for years because we know how tough it can be to pick the best roofing materials and contractors. Most homeowners in Toms River reach out to us whenever they need help with their roofs.
If you want to know more about how long asphalt shingles last or discuss any other roofing detail, contact us at (609) 342-9829. We will be happy to offer you a free consultation.