Architectural shingles are an excellent choice for homeowners looking to boost their home’s curb appeal and value. The highest-rated architectural shingle combines style and function to improve your house’s curb appeal for a long time. Many homeowners wonder how they can compare the leading brands and pick the best option. There are numerous types of asphalt shingles and manufacturers in the US. Out of these, we will discuss the top 5 architectural shingles of 2023.
At Epic Exteriors Roofing, we are dedicated to helping homeowners make the right roofing decisions. Being a family-owned business, we understand the value of the safety and comfort you want for yourself and your loved ones. If you are looking for new roofing shingles or you need a complete roof replacement, we are here with our brief guide on architectural shingles and how to pick the right roofing shingle for your home.
Top 5 Architectural Shingles Of 2023
The top 5 shingles are from GAF, Owens Corning, Atlas, CertainTeed, and Malarkey. While the fire resistance of their laminated shingles is similar, what makes them different is their composition, nailing technology, color options, and cost.
#1 GAF Timberline HDZ
GAF is the oldest and most advanced manufacturer of roofing materials. You might be surprised to know that the company was founded in 1886! GAF’s impressive portfolio includes the 2011 Innovation Award, the Architects Choice for Excellence Award, and the Builder’s Choice Award. Numerous studies mention GAF’s name with #1 ratings for quality and innovation.
GAF Timberline HDZ shingles currently sit at the top of the list for being America’s #1 selling architectural shingle in 2023.
Highest Algae Protection
These architectural shingles have the highest protection against algae or moss infestation. Their StainGuard Plus™ Algae Protection technology has a 25-year warranty against dark algae stains, whereas other brands cover a shorter period.
Industry’s Best Installation Technologies
Timberline has the industry’s widest nailing zone, the StrikeZone nailing area. With GAF’s LayerLock technology and Dura Grip sealant, Timberline HDZ currently offers the best possible shingle installation. LayerLock is a powerful technology that seals the dimensional shingles to each other during the installation.
The First-Of-Its-Kind Wind Warranty
While other shingle manufacturers have limited wind warranties, GAF stands out from the competition. The Timberline range has Infinite Wind Speed Protection- Industry’s first and highest wind warranty. This covers the maximum wind speeds and strong winds with hurricane force that can possibly hit your area.
The Highest Fire Rating- Class A
Class A fire rating is the highest level of fire resistance for any asphalt shingle. This means Timberline architectural shingles pass the most severe fire tests designed by the US fire department.
World’s First Nailable Solar Shingles
GAF Timberline Solar is the future of clean energy and eco-friendly roofing. Where most people have solar panels on their roofs, you can save costs and stand out from the crowd by getting the first solar architectural shingles that are waterproof and easily nailable.
Over 20 Colors And Finishes
GAF Timberline shingles come with the widest and most appealing looks in the market. You can choose from over 20 colors and patterns, whereas most brands offer fewer choices.
GAF Timberline HDZ shingles fall in an economical range, making them all the more popular and the most reasonable choice for homes. On average, people spend between $6,000 to $8,000 on installing Timberline architectural shingles.
GAF offers 10, 30, and 50-year warranty periods. Prolonged warranties are applicable when you install a few essential shingle accessories provided by the brand and hire a GAF-certified roofing contractor. The Timberline range qualifies for all types of warranties.
#2 Owens Corning Duration
Owens Corning is known to be the most affordable shingle manufacturer in the US. They are the winners of the 2023 Women’s Choice Awards for offering the most recommended shingles.
- Owens Corning Duration shingles have a wind resistance of up to 130 mph wind speeds. The SureNail® technology has a unique fabric in the nailing area, which enhances the grip of the laminated shingles.
- The architectural shingles come in 10 dark and 5 light shades. The TruDefinition® color platform gives deep, rich colors to the shingles, enhancing their HD look.
- StreakGuard™ Algae Protection technology embeds copper granules in the shingles that help keep algae growth under control for almost 10 years.
The cost to install Owens Corning Duration shingles is approximately $6,000 to $12,000 for an average American home with a 2,000-square-foot roof. The basic Owens Corning shingle warranty covers ten years.
#3 CertainTeed Landmark Pro
CertainTeed is known to be among the high-end brands, as most of its products are priced higher than average. The same goes for the brand’s architectural shingles, as they cost more than the competitors’. The price difference is mainly due to CertainTeed’s quality standards and customization options for homeowners.
- CertainTeed’s Landmark Pro architectural shingle is currently the first choice of homeowners looking for top-of-the-line architectural roofing shingles. These laminated shingles come in 23 classic shades and a 3D impression of natural wood and slate. CertainTeed has the Maximum Definition (MAX DEF) technology to enhance the authenticity of the style.
- The StreakFighter® technology prevents algae growth and its dark streaks on the shingles. There’s a 15-year algae resistance warranty for the Landmark Pro shingles.
- The QuraBond technology seals the laminated shingle layers with the industry’s best adhesive method. The sealant is proven to enhance the wind resistance and durability of CertainTeed’s Landmark Pro shingles. With CertaSeal™ Wind Uplift Protection Adhesive, their Landmark Pro shingles have a wind resistance of up to 130mph.
- NailTrak® is a way to enhance the accuracy and speed of installation. With this method, the CertainTeed shingles have a wide nailing area and three tracking lines to make it easier for the roofers to install them.
The cost to install CertainTeed Landmark Pro shingles runs between $12,000 to $15000. These have a 10-year starting warranty and are eligible for CertainTeed’s Lifetime Limited Warranty of 50 years on laminate shingles. However, people often find their extended warranties expensive.
#4 Malarkey Vista
While most shingles are made of recycled materials, Malarkey is among the premium shingle manufacturers known for their additional eco-friendly efforts. The brand plants two trees for each roof installed and utilizes plastic bags and tires from landfills.
- Malarky Vista architectural shingles are the most popular shingles from the brand. Malarky manufactures NEX® Rubberized asphalt shingles, enabling Vista to pass the Class 3 impact rating.
- Malarky Vista offers a standard shingle warranty of up to 12 years and a wind warranty against 110 mph and 130 mph winds. However, Malarky doesn’t have algae protection warranties.
- Malarkey Vista has The Zone® Nailing Area, which is two times larger than what standard shingles have. They also have 25% greater tear resistance than the industry standard (ASTM D3462).
- There are 11 shingle colors for you to pick from, and their special Smog-Reducing Granules help purify the air around the house, which is also a unique eco-friendly feature.
The average cost of installing Malarkey Vista architectural shingles ranges between $10,000 to $12000.
#5 Atlas Pinnacle Pristine HP42
Atlas is a comparatively new brand to manufacture shingles, but they have been contributing to the construction industry since 1982. They offer limited shingle lines, like Malarkey and CertainTeed, but are relatively more affordable than the two manufacturers.
- Atlas Pinnacle Pristine shingles are available in 19 colors, shielded by Scotchgard™ Algae Protection, and have a Class A fire rating.
- The HP42″ roofing material features a large nailing area and double adhesive sealant line, which passes wind resistance against 130mph wind speed.
- These are the biggest architectural shingles on the market and have a large nailing area. Altas SweetSpot nailing area and FASTAC® double sealant enable faster installation of the shingles.
There’s a slight debate on Atlas’ warranties, as multiple homeowners reported that the company rejected their warranties. So it’s better to consult your local roofing contractor who has installed Atlas roofing shingles before making any decisions.
While all the top manufacturers make sturdy shingles, two more factors affect brand warranties and determine how strong and long-lasting your roof will be.
Why Do Most Homeowners Prefer Architectural Shingles?
Architectural shingles are also called dimensional shingles and laminated shingles. They are the upgraded version of the traditional 3-tab shingles with high-quality composition. The most noticeable difference between architectural and 3-tab shingles is their appearance.
- Architectural asphalt shingles have a thicker gauge and a more textured surface with more shadows and a 3D appearance. Dimensional shingles are designed to fetch the effect of natural wood shakes and slate roofs.
- They are composite shingles, 50% thicker than standard three-tab shingles– which means they can withstand more severe weather conditions than traditional 3-tab shingles.
- With everything else, laminated shingles have a much longer lifespan than 3-tab and are much more affordable than luxury shingles and natural roofs such as slate, shake, and tile.
All these qualities are why most homeowners choose architectural shingles for their homes. Below are the five highest-rated architectural shingles of 2023– based on performance and reviews.
What Affects The Shingle Performance And Warranties?
The first factor is the installation quality and the roofing contractor you choose. Extended and lifetime warranties are only applicable when you select brand-certified or preferred contractors. Certified contractors are trained and qualified to work with high-quality asphalt shingles and provide flawless installation. It’s almost as important as the manufacturer of roofing material in determining how well the shingles perform over time. Architectural shingles typically last for 30-40 years with proper installation and regular maintenance.
Another critical factor affecting shingle strength is your local climate. For example, if you live in an area where storms, high winds, flash floods, or heavy snow are expected every year, it’s better to pick shingles with the highest protection and warranty against such weather damage. If you live in coastal areas such as Ocean County, or Monmouth County in New Jersey, GAF will be your best option for architectural roofing shingles.
However, many homeowners ask us: What makes a good brand? Is it the product quality and cost or customer service and warranty? Well, the answer isn’t simple. A lot goes in, and it’s essential for you to know that your shingle brand is trustworthy.
Learn More From Our Experts: Choose The Right Architectural Shingle
At Epic Exteriors Roofing, we offer a free consultation to all homeowners. Our roofing experts are GAF-Certified Weather Stoppers, and we are proud of our dedication and expertise. Curious why we’ve chosen to work with GAF? It’s because our roofing experts have assessed that GAF is the best shingle manufacturer for New Jersey homes. Our team has been fortifying homes for years, and you can trust them just as we do.
Call us at (609) 342-9829, and one of our experts will answer all your questions about architectural shingles and the installation process. If you want to consider more options, we’ll help you choose the right asphalt shingles.